Graphic Production Assistant
Saskatoon Public Library, Saskatoon, SK
2008 — present
- Responsible for printed promotional material for all eight branches of the library.
- This includes posters, brochures, handbills and photography, art direction, design and production of four issues of Library News magazine per year and the library's annual report.
Internet Solutions Developer
M.R. Internet, North Battleford, SK
2006 — 2008
- Working in the PHP/MySQL server model, develop web applications for clients' sites.
McKenzie College, Moncton, NB
- Evening class instruction in varying levels of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Responsible for curriculum, examples and project coordination.
Silent Queue Design, Vancouver, BC
1999 — present
- Graphic design, typesetting, page layout, preflighting and web design & production.
- Database design & administration (MySQL & FileMaker Pro).
- Clients include Table Mountain Regional Park, The Fountainhead Pub, Artichoke Magazine (now defunct), .
- Technical support for clients including troubleshooting hardware/software, installations and upgrades.
Graphic Designer/Customer Service Representative
Mail Box Plus, Vancouver, BC
1996 — 2000
- Graphic design, typesetting, proofreading, page layout, preflighting and data entry (included some HTML).
- Hardware upgrading to PCs and Macs including troubleshooting and maintenance. Assisted in changing office LAN from AppleTalk to 10BaseT ethernet (included four desktop Macintosh systems, an EfiFiery colour print server, two PCs, a PowerBook and two printers).
- Some retail counter work (included PC-based POS and Interac terminal; cash handling — including daily balancing and deposits), use of four Canon copiers (one of which was a CLC 700, also used as the colour laser printer) and sorting mail for more than 500 customers in a busy downtown location.
Systems Design Team
Frontier Industries, Richmond, BC
1994 — 1996
- Duties much the same as above, although primary computer platform was a PC. Also included learning and implementing HTML (including hand-coding), and writing for the web.
Proficient in all versions of Mac OS and MS Windows. Familiar with Unix & Linux.
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat & QuarkXPress, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Microsoft Word and Excel, some experience with PageMaker, Freehand for Windows. Fully versed in use of scanner for acquiring graphical elements and text. Various other software applications (including internet-specific client software, such as FTP, SSH and Telnet). Experience in all listed applications for both platforms, except where noted.
Skills Canada Website Development 2006, Moncton, NB
- Competition involved design and production of a logo and e-commerce website for a fictitious company — using dummy data — in five hours.
Self-taught in areas of design, computer & software use (1995 – 2005).
Detail-oriented, work well under tight deadlines.
Eager to continue self-education and development.
Experienced in photography research and purchasing.
Strong production-related skills including pre-flighting.
Graphic Design Diploma
McKenzie College, Moncton, NB
2005 — 2006
- President's List Diploma
Kapuskasing District High School, Kapuskasing, ON
1985 — 1990
- Grade 12 Ontario Secondary School Diploma, with three Ontario Academic Credits. Major courses of study were English and Music.